Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy New Year!

As a half Chinese Baha'i, I celebrate three diffferent New Years- the one on Jnauary 1, the Baha'i New Year ( Naw Ruz) at the Spring equinox, and today, Chinese New Year. For the Chinese this is a time of good, abundant food. In the old days, my dad said, his family would have a chicken at New Year, a great treat. Today in Canada, we dimsummed with friends. If you've never had a taro wrap, turnip cake, sticky rice or egg tart, get thee to a Chinese restaurant and give them a try. Your taste buds will wonder why you've been waiting so long.

I admit to overeating at dim sum today. I didn't feel very good at the end of the meal, solely because of the heaviness of my gut. I had the nap I usually have after a big meal and woke up slightly emptier. I've just finished off the dim sum leftovers for supper along with some steamed brussel sprouts. When in doubt, add veggies. I am making a special effort to eat greens, especially on the days that seem to be dietary lost causes.

Speaking of eating greens...I'm also trying to eat green. For the first time the other day, I was able to buy fair trade organic bananas at the Superstore. Having watched a documentary about the health problems banana harvesters were having due to contact with the pesticides used on the banana crop, I am glad to be able to buy my favourite fruit in a way which least damages the people and the land that are essential to its production.

Since food in the only thing I buy on a continuous basis, I try to make my purchases count, but I'm not extreme about it. My guilty pleasure is Kraft dinner clone, and in the past my every good dietary intention could be felled by a bag of salt and vinegar chips. I have eaten my share, and maybe twice my share, of "food" that's hurtful to the planet and my health.

I don't expect to ever be a leader in the fight for life-positive eating but I intend to be a faithful follower. If you walk in my footsteps, please kick a little dirt over the places where I am diverted by a Dairy Queen Blizzard. And I'll promise not to look over my shoulder when you drop out of line for that hamburger and fries.

No comments:

Post a Comment