Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Obesity blues

Well, it's been another one of those days... slept for the afternoon, having had a short walk in the sun, my first in many moons because of the leg pain and pins and needles. I'm hoping to make it a regular thing. My dad has beat me to it. He considers walking his job these days, and I think I'm going to have to follow in his footsteps, literally. I probably weigh twice as much as he does, and have been told in no uncertain terms by my gp that I need to lose weight. It's not that I don't want to apply myself, just that it has seemed such a trivial occupation when I have important things to do like napping and trying to find matching socks. But it is important enough I guess, if I want to live past 50.

The question is then, do I want to live past 50? Somedays the answer is no, but I am generally curious about the future, enough so to want to stick around. I'm kind of holding out for the flying cars. But in the very ugly language that describes various degrees of overweight, I am "morbidly obese". I am hopeful those words will not be written on my tombstone, or the plus size urn that contains my ashes, but chance are they will be the horrifying subtext if I don't do something about it, now.

I don't want to be buried in a piano case, the way the fattest man in the world was in the copy of the Guiness Book of World Records from my childhood. I don't want to have to keep doing two loads of laundry to an ordinary-sized person's one. It's fine not to lay a guilt trip on myself about the way I eat and don't exercise but it's also totally pointless to deny the fact that I am endangering my health and life by continuing along my habitual path of least resistance. Already my breathing has been affected, my ability to move about, my stamina, cholesterol, blood pressure, blood sugar and lipids.

So maybe this blog will be about all that. Well we'll see. Maybe I'll decide to turn it into a blog about where to find the best fish and chips in all of Nova Scotia. In which case I'll see you later, in the afterlife.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Anna, John says that he started with 15mins a day and then worked his way up to half an hour and quit pop and that is how he lost his 80lbs...I would like you to be around after 50 and so would Stella. He also says make sure you stretch too so the aches of it all do not make you feel stiff. A piano case would indeed be a terrible final irony.

    ReplyDelete